Thursday, September 07, 2006

Soap Opera Called Life

Soap operas can be ludicrous but an old adage is "life is stranger than fiction". Makes me wonder if soap operas are based on real life, rather than life mimicking art when you run into one of life's dramas.

A friend of mine has all these stories about her family and relatives bordering on magic-realism, but it's not like I don't have my own share of life's pecularities. If hers are fantastical, mine's more exagerratedly dramatic.

You know the villainess of most soap operas? The beautiful but cruel and manipulative woman? Well, I've met one of those. I didn't think I'd meet a gold digger in my life but it has happened. She even comes complete with the taray complex that antagonists possesses. Fortunately, she wasn't interested in me.

Not so long ago, I was also involved in a love triangle of sorts. I was just entering college and I was entering it with a friend's girlfriend. Apparently, the relationship was going a bit sour and the only reason the girl stayed with my friend was because she felt pity for him. So while I was hanging out with the girlfriend, I was also hanging out with another friend and the two ended up together. Oh wow, and somehow I'm linked to all three (boyfriend, girlfriend, and other friend). Talk about pressure.

Of course my own love life is more complex. I don't know if it's a tragedy or a comedy (because I'm sure there are people who simply laugh at other people's misery).

No comments: