Monday, August 13, 2007

Writing for Pay

I'm a big fan of podcasts and one of the reasons I carry a multimedia player isn't necessarily for me to listen to music but to listen to interviews while walking to work. One of the newer sites that offers podcasts is Writing for Pay and it's interesting for me because instead of focusing on high profile writers, they interview the rest. Here's what written on their About page:

While other writers impress attractive people at parties with their successful screenplays and million-dollar book deals, there’s a whole army of unsung, ink-stained, heroes out there toiling day and night to produce the stuff that people need written: brochures, Web pages, software manuals, catchy t-shirt slogans, descriptions of food, and trade journal articles about frog overpopulation.

And y’know what? Even though it won’t get you laid, that kind of work turns out to be pretty interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charles,

Thank you for the writeup! And thanks for listening - I'm also a big podcast fan, and like listening to interviews and talk shows on the bus rides to and from work. Someday I hope to be as polished as Leo Laporte and Tom Merritt.

I'm especially happy to have listeners in the Philippines because my family was stationed at Clark Air Force Base in the mid-1970s. I loved the country. Some of the best days of my childhood were spent bicycling around Angeles City.

Charles said...

That's great to hear. Of course these days, I think Angeles is definitely different from the Angeles City of your childhood (more pollution for example).

Anyway, good luck with your endeavor and looking forward to hear more from you.