Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Why People Game at Your Table

I'll make this brief and short. I love game systems. I love fictional settings. But at the end of the day, I think gaming groups game together not because their GM is the best storyteller in the world, or because they're playing a kick-ass game system, or because they're using a popular setting, but because they're friends and buddies and colleagues. I've gamed with non-friends and they eventually became friends but there's no compelling reason to come back and game with them once the campaign is over (assuming you actually have gaming options). I've seen games where it's been run by a whacked-out GM, a sub-optimal game system, and players ignorant of the rules but they're having fun. That I think is what's most important and they're having fun not necessarily because of the strengths of the GM or of the game system or even the ambiance but rather because they're all friends and gaming is one of the best ways to bond.

No comments: