Thursday, August 09, 2007

The SF Comic That Could Have Been

From SF Signal:

Pulp Faction has an article on Gully Foyle: The Best Science-Fiction Comic You'll Never Read:

When the first installment of Bester’s novel, originally titled Tiger! Tiger!, but renamed The Stars My Destination (at the suggestion of his editor, H.L. Gold) appeared in the October 1956 issue of Galaxy magazine, it electrified readers everywhere.

Yet even Bester couldn’t have guessed just how much impact it would have on an avid 27 year-old science-fiction fan, living on the other side of the world.

For Reg Pitt, a writer and artist living in Sydney, Australia, The Stars My Destination was much more than an entertaining, thought-provoking novel.

“As soon as I read that first issue [of Galaxy], I was dying to read the rest of the book – and I became a lifelong fan of Alfred Bester, there and then.”

No comments: