Saturday, July 07, 2007

Bye Bye Gaming Group

Every Saturday for the past two years (when work doesn't get in the way), I'd hang with my gaming group, meeting them as early as Saturday afternoon and coming home as late as sunrise the next day. We stick with one RPG system and then rotate it with another system as the GM finishes his story arc. And then once the RPG gaming is done, we usually go board games or go an all-nighter with DotA.

The past few weeks the gaming group is reluctant. There's a ton of reasons. Two are in med school, one lives all the way in the South and doesn't want to pay the toll fee (did I mention he's currently unemployed?), and I could mention that half of the group work in a call center one way or another but the real reason is that more than half of the group are playing World of Warcraft and playing it online is much, much more convenient/addicting for them than to meet up face to face.

Which is fine for those who play World of Warcraft but I belong to the other half of the gaming group who doesn't.

There are times in the year where I'll go ballistic over this fact. But lately that's not the case. I'm not in my addicted-to-gaming mode and actually slowly gearing up for my writing-mode (Phil. Spec Fic Vol. 3 deadline is looming!). Maybe in a few months I'll scream and go wild. Right now, life goes on.

Looking back, ever since college, a good bulk of Saturday nights has indeed been spent gaming with the gaming group. And during the lull where my gaming group left school (everything from graduating to transferring to another university), I was hanging out with the Comic Quest gang.

Unless something develops with my gaming group later on, I'll probably be with the LitCritters tonight, which resembles the membership of the Comic Quest gang. (Now if only my lungs can take it because as much as I like Dean and company, chain smoking is taking a big toll on my health.)

1 comment:

Thyalla said...

*patpat* bring a nebulizer?

But I do sympathise about the Saturday group "death". VTES had teh same thing going on evre since CCHQ closed... although, thank God, we're slowly recovering now.