Monday, January 05, 2009

Books I'm Looking Forward To In 2009

Since Larry has posted his own list of books that he's looking forward to, I might as well add in my own. Of course times like these, I wish there was something like Previews Magazine for fiction which compiles most of the upcoming releases (then again, book publishing isn't as monopolized as US comics).

Of course note that I haven't read most of these books so I can't guarantee their quality or if they fail to live up to the hype.

Solaris Books:

Poe: 19 New Tales Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe edited by Ellen Datlow - Sign me up for anything Datlow. This anthology features an ensemble of authors and a theme that's flexible enough to give you the chills.

Evil Ways by Justin Gustainis - Urban fantasy with the titles of the books named after popular songs. I did enjoy the previous book. Didn't exactly blow my mind away but certainly fun in its own right.

The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction Volume 3 edited by George Mann - I thought the previous volumes of New Science Fiction were decent so I'll be grabbing a copy of this one as well. Hooray for original unthemed science fiction anthologies.

Night Shade Books:

Eclipse Two edited by Jonathan Strahan - I really, really loved the first anthology and I've been trying to order this one for the past two months. Also looking forward to the new Chiang story and that's an event in itself.

Madness of Flowers by Jay Lake - Again, I really enjoyed the first novel and I'm interested what Lake has to offer with the sequel. Considering the setting is already mad by modern standards, let's see how far the author can carry this concept.

How to Make Friends with Demons by Graham Joyce - Got an ARC of this book last year and it blew me away so much so that it made my top 5 list.

Hespira by Matthew Hughes - I find Hughes to be fun and compelling. Definitely a book that catches my attention.

Underland Press:

Last Days by Brian Evenson - Got an ARC of it last year and pretty good if you ask me.

The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott - I'm curious to the other offerings of Underland Press and Larry does recommend this book so...

Finch by Jeff Vandermeer - It's by Jeff Vandermeer. Set in this Ambergris world. Do you really need any more reasons?

Aio Publishing:

Impossible Encounters by Zoran Zivkovic - The US release of Zivkovic's books. Also check out Seven Touches of Music and Steps Through the Mist. Definitely an author to keep an eye on.

Puffin Books:

Firebirds Soaring edited by Sharyn November - Anthologies, anthologies, anthologies... This is the third in the series and from what I hear, November has some interesting selections.

Viking Press:

Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling - More anthologies! Datlow and Windling to boot. Also seems to fit that horrific fairy tale vibe.

Roc Books:

Nebula Awards Showcase 2009 edited by Ellen Datlow - Admittedly picking this up solely because of the editor. But if you're curious as to the Nebula Awards, the annual showcase is a good place to start.

Pan Macmillan:

The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay - Curious as to Tremblay's latest novel. There are already some positive reviews popping up here and there.

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev - Mantchev's foray into novel-length fiction. I suspect Mantchev and young adult fiction are a perfect match!

Wyrm Publishing:

Unplugged edited by Rich Horton - An anthology of online fiction! And will follow Horton to the ends of the earth.. (and you dead-tree fans can stop complaining)

Prime Books:


Best American Fantasy 2 edited by Jeff & Ann Vandermeer and Matthew Cheney - Much like Eclipse 2, been trying to order this book ever since. A glimpse at the table of contents already whetted my appetite.

Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2008 Edition edited by Rich Horton - See above.

Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2009 Edition and Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2009 Edition edited by Rich Horton - Ditto.

PS Publishing:

The Painting and the City by Robert Freeman Wexler - Tons of books I'm anticipating from PS Publishing and I'm looking forward to Wexler's fiction.

Everland and Other Stories by Paul Witcover - It's Paul Witcover! And short stories! I'm sold.

The Writer, The Book, The Reader by Zoran Zivkovic - You can never have too much Zivkovic.

The Bridge by Zoran Zivkovic - See above.

Viz Media:

Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka by Naoki Urusawa - If I were to purchase only one manga in 2009, this would be it. This is a modern retelling of the famous Astro Boy story arc where the most powerful robots are mysteriously murdered. It makes sense of the human-robot paranoia, at the same time infusing the story with fleshed out characterization and mature sensibilities.

No comments: