Sunday, June 03, 2007

New Book Spending Habits

Lately, I've cut down on buying and reading books. There's a lot of factors contributing to this, although I'm not any richer for it. Lately, more and more of my budget is being sunk into comics and manga. Also, recent reading habits have been shifting from high fantasy to science fiction. Hmmm...

Anyway, here's my three criteria for purchasing new books:

  1. I won't be able to acquire the book in the near future. Also known as books that are relatively rare (rare in the sense that it's difficult to acquire it here in the Philippines). My purchases of Fritz Leiber and Robert E. Howard books have been driven by this mentality, although to this day I have yet to pick up and read through these books that I bought.
  2. Books in a series that I used to collect. Thankfully the list is growing short. Last year the only books I bought in this category was probably the 11th book in the Wheel of Time series and the new Dune novel. Although yes, I haven't read them yet. Maybe I'll find the time to read the 6th Harry Potter book before the last one comes out in a few week's time. (Speaking of Harry Potter, makes you wonder why bookstores always overstocks them.)
  3. Books that I know I will read now! Updated my reading list and you'll see what I've managed to read, manga, graphic novels, RPG books, and digests notwithstanding.

No comments: