Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Writing Journal: Unreality Bites #2

I'm planning to participate in Fully Booked's Graphic/Fiction Contest and this is a peek at my writing process.

I had problems coming up with an idea last night and so I went for a surefire way to ignite my creative muscles: I read stories. I revisited Jeffrey Ford's Creation and Dean Alfar's The Kite of Stars, hoping to draw from the best. Suffice to say, it worked and I managed to write two short paragraphs of the story.

This morning, as tempted as I was to blog and check email and surf the Net, I made a decision to write, write, and write. Re-worked what I had previously written into a narrative with better flow and structure although as of the time of this writing, I still have no working title (which is not a problem). I already have in mind a general plot and an ending, butchered from various story ideas and failed drafts. I'm roughly at 600 words and around a quarter of the story but I am not worried for there is no minimum word count and I think this is easily the best story I've written so far (don't we always think that whenever we write a new story?).

My quote for the day accomplished, I finally have time to blog but I need to take a bath, eat breakfast, and rush to work.

No comments: