Monday, July 02, 2007

Transformers Comments

I didn't catch Pirates of the Caribbean nor Fantastic Four but I finally relented to Transformers. Here's my comments on the film (this isn't a review).

  • If I wanted a dark atmosphere for Transformers, this would have been the way I would have had it. What's cool about the movie is that it exploits the "Robots in Disguise" theme, similar to what Naoki Urusawa is doing for Astro Boy in his manga series Pluto, where the humanity/robot schism is much more evident. And while the robot designs aren't necessarily aesthetically pleasing, they are perfect as camouflage (and you know, not identify what exactly the robots transform into... I mean in the cartoon, you don't ask what does Soundwave transform into?).
  • It's not the first time that the Transformers has had a cross-over with another famous 80's title, G.I. Joe. This movie could have been just that, and I'm not saying that in a bad way.
  • Megatron didn't need to make that Starscream comment. Honestly, he didn't have to. Is it fanboy pandering? Yes but it just doesn't work...

No comments: