Thursday, June 14, 2007

Problems and Solutions

I'll be honest--I do a lot of whining in my blog. In fact, a lot of my blog entries is about problems: problems in the book industry, problems in gaming, problems in the Philippines, and problems with people in general.

Having said that, I don't think problems are necessarily the issue. The issue isn't in the problem alone but in the solution--or lack of it. Here's some scenarios I think that's associated with problems:

  • I have the right problem and the right solution (don't we all wish we had these type of relationship?).
  • I have the right problem and no solution (which is the status quo).
  • I have the right problem and the wrong solution (also called scapegoats).
  • I have the wrong problem and the right solution (in which solving the problem doesn't really solve anything).
  • I have a problem but there's no problem (a.k.a. the people who can't stay content or leads to the previous example).
Next thing you think you have a problem, it might be a good idea to check the chart. My pet peeve is usually when the fourth occurs, or the perpetuation of the third.

No comments: