Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Bibliography of Female Filipino Speculative Fiction Writers

One of my biggest frustrations is that it's difficult to track down--or even record--Philippine Speculative Fiction. It's not just the print aspect (where periodicals have print runs of a few hundred and distributed in obscure venues) but even online publications are susceptible--even my old archives are irrelevant now as Geocities has closed down (taking with it a few important sites) as well as various magazines (which have either closed down themselves or transferred webhosts without re-archiving the old material).

Anyway, for the past two weeks, I've been trying to compile the bibliography of female Filipino speculative fiction writers. It's incomplete. Not everyone writer is covered. It's a work in progress and authors can help complete it by emailing me (charlesatan[at]gmail[dot]com with the subject "Bibliography"). (Male authors can also send me their bibliographies for a future archive.)

Publishing it today seems apt considering everything that's happened in the past week and the occasion today. It's not everyday that I manage to promote several agendas. I don't have all the answers but hopefully this is a start (and the bibliography list is awfully short considering the wealth of female writers that we have--please email me your bibliographies).

Again, A Bibliography of Female Speculative Fiction Writers. I do hope readers, writers, editors, and fans check it out (although I am aware of the paradox that for those books or stories without online links, obtaining them outside of the Philippines will be difficult).

3 comments:

vonjobi said...

have you heard of reocities? if you still have the old geocities links, replace the "g" with "r" and see if the old pages were archived.

Cecilia Tan said...

Ooh, I can't believe I can't think of anyone to recommend to you. But a lot of my relatives in the Philippines have friended me on Facebook, so I'll ask around!

Maza said...

I need a Like button somewhere here! :) Thanks for the loving work.