Monday, September 10, 2007

Recommended Reading in Hotels

I was reading Shirley Dent's column in The Guardian about the deplorable state of their libraries when I chanced upon an earlier column of hers that talk about French hotels:
But a difference that surprised me was finding two slim paperbacks of short stories at my bedside, the French original accompanied by its English translation. A book wrapper informed us that these stories were specially selected by the hotel management "for your enjoyment". Even if I am entirely honest and say that Le Dieu d'Alain et autres nouvelles (The God of Alain and other short stories) by Marianne Margo was a bit too full of bourgeois existentialism and angst for my taste, this was a step up from the Gideon bible secreted in a drawer. I mean, what a terrific idea. Books of short stories, poems, classic literature to set you dreaming as night falls in strange climes, and wake you to the clatter and clamour of a foreign city.


Anderson Mccutcheon said...

Your comment is detailed and insightful, and we are in direct touch with Blizzard's team, so it will not go unheard.

Thank you

Anderson Mccutcheon

Charles said...