Friday, May 08, 2009

May 8, 2009 Links and Plugs

Here's some self promotion: my commentary on Rochita Loenen-Ruiz's "Teaching a Pink Elephant How to Ski" (and Philippine speculative fiction) in The Pink Elephant in the Room at Fantasy Magazine.

Various Filipinos involved in spec fic are interviewed in Literature of the Fantastic by Alex G. Paman at Filipinas Magazine.

Interviews
Advice/Articles
News
If my next book plug deviates from the norm, it's because I want to make the most out of my recent blogging traffic and thank Robin Hemley who broke The Great Book Blockade of 2009 story. Hopefully it gets imported here, and doesn't get taxed.

Do-Over! by Robin Hemley

3 comments:

Robin Hemley said...

Hi Charles (if I may),

Thank you for that plug. I'm in the States at the moment but will hopefully be back for the book Festival in Manila in September, if not earlier. In the meantime, I'm trying to get some U.S. associations of writers informed and ready to do battle on the issue: including the National Book Critics Circle, the Associated Writing Programs, the Authors Guild, etc. I'll let you know if I have any luck. in the meantime, I've been amazed and delighted by the mobilization of forces in the RP to fight this, including that new Facebook Cause group which seems to have garnered an incredible 3000 members in a mere 36 hours or so!

Your co-blockade runner,
Robin

P.S. As we're both lovers of speculative fiction, I thought I might also let you know of an anthology I did a few years back with Michael Martone, EXTREME FICTION. I'll bring a copy for you when I'm next in Manila.

Charles said...

Thanks!

anna tambour said...

What sharp eyes you have, Charles! And Robin, what a story. Corruption is something that many countries compete in, and so many succeed. I've linked your story in my web site and will blog on it in my blog (read by ones) and wish you success with Do-Over. I expect you to report what your daughter thinks of this book. And as for the crabs, I think this story is as true as the one about frogs boiling (quoted by, amongst other naturalists, Al Gore and Hilary Clinton). In both cases, they are more revealing about how WE act. Frogs are too smart to be that complacent, and crabs might be crabby, but what do you think? They do steal houses, but do they for instance, gossip?