Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Reality TV Show Dynamics

I think lately, the stream of reality-TV has stabilized, at least here in the Philippines. I mean aside from American Idol and The Amazing Race, there's not much foreign shows airing. On the local scene, it's still a bit rich with the likes of Pinoy Big Brother and that talent show on ABS-CBN.

Of course I can't help but admire the paradoxical dynamics of reality TV shows. I mean with the exception of the last episode, there's a bigger excitement in finding out who's the loser in each episode rather than the winner (not that I don't look forward to knowing who won first place). Mark Burnett instilled in me the question who gets voted/eliminated/didn't make the cut?

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is only there for the last episode. The "minor" prizes at each episode before then is great (especially if I'm a contestant) but as a viewer, I care more about who I'm not going to see in next week's episode.

No comments: